Saturday, February 25, 2012

Custom Data Extension Parameters

I am currently writing a Custom Data Extension using the RS 2000
Microsoft.ReportingServices.Interfaces dll. Iâ've found quite a few examples
online and have almost gotten it to work the way I would like it to. I have
implemented the IDbCommandAnalysis.GetParameters interface and when I create
a report with the report designer (VS 2003) the parameters are auto created
in the data layer and the display layer (what is prompted to the user). The
issue I am running into is that parameter type is not being selected within
the display layer. It remains as the default value of string. Does anyone
know how the designer determines what the type is when it is auto creating
the parameters? Iâ'm pretty sure this is possible since it behaves that way
with the prepackaged Microsoft data extensions. What do I need to implement
to get that to work?
Thanks,
-Nathan F.If you implemented the necessary interfaces, then your parameter class
stores the values of the parameters in an object. This object can then
call getType() later on, which is how I am assuming the designer
determines what type of input it is. In essence you shouldn't need to
add any code to figure out the type of the parameter, but you should
code so that you can figure out what types would go where. Most likely
you will just be placing strings inside your parameters since the
command itself will just be a string. Hope this helps!
Lance M.
Nathan wrote:
> I am currently writing a Custom Data Extension using the RS 2000
> Microsoft.ReportingServices.Interfaces dll. I've found quite a few examples
> online and have almost gotten it to work the way I would like it to. I have
> implemented the IDbCommandAnalysis.GetParameters interface and when I create
> a report with the report designer (VS 2003) the parameters are auto created
> in the data layer and the display layer (what is prompted to the user). The
> issue I am running into is that parameter type is not being selected within
> the display layer. It remains as the default value of string. Does anyone
> know how the designer determines what the type is when it is auto creating
> the parameters? I'm pretty sure this is possible since it behaves that way
> with the prepackaged Microsoft data extensions. What do I need to implement
> to get that to work?
> Thanks,
> -Nathan F.

No comments:

Post a Comment