Saturday, February 25, 2012

Custom Data Extensions - Multiple Datasets.

Hi,
I know your probably going to tell me that this is not possible, but I am a
whisker away from getting it to work.. So there must be a way.
I have managed to extend reporting services with my own Data Processing
Extension (DPE).
With the combination of a dynamic web service proxy generator and the RDL
params provided by the Report Designer wizard i.e., Connectionstring & Query
I am able to call a web service dynamically and return a serialized dataset
from a web method.
This is then used by reporting services report designer wizard to provide a
list of fields in the dataset which are then used to layout the report.
Connectionstring = WebService URL e.g. http://local/mywebservice.asmx
Query = WebMethod e.g. GetDataset
It works great with a single dataset.
Now,
All this is done at run-time, and I know at design time it is possible to
add multiple datasets which gives you the nifty drop down list of datasets in
the fields window.
However, I have a dataset which contains multiple datasets and I wish to do
the same thing that reporting services does at design-time but at run-time.
Structure:
========== DataSet 1
DataSet A
DataSet B
DataSet C
Just for further information, I am extending the IDataReader Interface and
passing back the dataset through the Systems.Collections.IEnumerator
Interface.we are doing the same thing in my company please contact me at
andrescampos99@.hotmail.com with the source code and we will glad to assist you
"eskimo" wrote:
> Hi,
> I know your probably going to tell me that this is not possible, but I am a
> whisker away from getting it to work.. So there must be a way.
> I have managed to extend reporting services with my own Data Processing
> Extension (DPE).
> With the combination of a dynamic web service proxy generator and the RDL
> params provided by the Report Designer wizard i.e., Connectionstring & Query
> I am able to call a web service dynamically and return a serialized dataset
> from a web method.
> This is then used by reporting services report designer wizard to provide a
> list of fields in the dataset which are then used to layout the report.
> Connectionstring = WebService URL e.g. http://local/mywebservice.asmx
> Query = WebMethod e.g. GetDataset
> It works great with a single dataset.
> Now,
> All this is done at run-time, and I know at design time it is possible to
> add multiple datasets which gives you the nifty drop down list of datasets in
> the fields window.
> However, I have a dataset which contains multiple datasets and I wish to do
> the same thing that reporting services does at design-time but at run-time.
> Structure:
> ==========> DataSet 1
> DataSet A
> DataSet B
> DataSet C
> Just for further information, I am extending the IDataReader Interface and
> passing back the dataset through the Systems.Collections.IEnumerator
> Interface.

No comments:

Post a Comment