Thursday, March 22, 2012

Custom user field in database

Is there a SQL 2005 table containing meta data about my database where I can set a column whose
purpose is to hold custom user data?
I have an application for which I need to change the table structure from version to version. Each
time I distribute an new build of the application, the setup program lookupthe DB revision level
then issue the proper DDL calls to perform the updates.
I could always create a small user table with only one column into which I would store the DB
revision level. However, I would prefer store this INT value somewhere else if SQL 2005 offers a
capability to do so.
Gaetan.
Look in Books Online about using Database Extended Properties. Relatively
easy to code to, and retrieve from; custom name value pairs.
Arnie Rowland, Ph.D.
Westwood Consulting, Inc
Most good judgment comes from experience.
Most experience comes from bad judgment.
- Anonymous
You can't help someone get up a hill without getting a little closer to the
top yourself.
- H. Norman Schwarzkopf
"Gaetan" <me@.somewhere.com> wrote in message
news:q4d9m2t2o8suqoo678js6qndkk59721ji5@.4ax.com...
> Is there a SQL 2005 table containing meta data about my database where I
> can set a column whose
> purpose is to hold custom user data?
> I have an application for which I need to change the table structure from
> version to version. Each
> time I distribute an new build of the application, the setup program
> lookupthe DB revision level
> then issue the proper DDL calls to perform the updates.
> I could always create a small user table with only one column into which I
> would store the DB
> revision level. However, I would prefer store this INT value somewhere
> else if SQL 2005 offers a
> capability to do so.
> Gaetan.
|||sys.sp_addextendedproperty and sys.sp_updateextendedproperty are exactly what I needed.
Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment