Sunday, March 25, 2012

Customer Deployment Requirements for Reporting Services Express?

Hello. I have a version of SQL Express with Advanced services. I created a report and all seems well in Report Manager on my computer. Smile Now it's time to deploy my report to some customers.

1. Can I create an application in Visual Studios Express to view my report? I've read things online that seem contradictory to me and I'm hoping you can clarify this.

2. On a customer machine, if they have a .net application that can render my report, will they have to install reporting services on their computer or can the .rdl file run independently of reporting services if plugged into a .net viewer component? If it was called from a .net application, then Report Server and Report Manager aren't really needed are they? I have a situation where we don't want to use IIS on customer computers if we don't need to. Since the reports will not be adhoc, we're hoping to avoid needing to install Reporting Services on customer computers.

Thanks!

Debbie Erickson

Not sure on #1.

On #2, you should be able to render the report through the ReportViewer control, which removes the need for the Report Server and Report Manager (and IIS), as it handles the report rendering.

No comments:

Post a Comment